Saturday, September 10, 2011

Faces!

This is a pic of me that I used in a panel for Monday's comic. It's a standard facial expression of mine, and when I say standard, I mean awesome, and in drawing it I was faced with the "draw more lines and make me look heavier/older, or draw less lines and lose the parts of the face." I ended up going with more lines, because I'm not pretty all the time, and neither is my cartoon counterpart (that's a lie, actually, but I want you all to feel better :) ) But it got me thinking: In comics we always draw people "pretty". Even characters like Wolverine were prettied up and modeled after their respective (attractive) actors when their movies did well. But faces are doughy, stretchy things that live in motion, and sometimes they are distorted in fear and rage.

Anyways, I'm going to spend the rest of the weekend enjoying my copy of ECHO which just arrived in the mail. It's TERRY MOORE'S current project, and not only a great book, but one full of bitchin facial expressions.

No comments:

Post a Comment